Saturday, August 18, 2012

Joanie

The visit to the library today had be reaching for Joan Osborne's Pretty Little Stranger which I had borrowed once before but failed to spend much time with.
I loved Brokedown Palace, Time Won't Tell and Please Don't Tell Me How The Story Ends, but today I listened to the CD all the way through and found myself digging the whole thing.

She is hit or miss for me. After watching her in Standing in the Shadows of Motown, I really wanted to love her, but sometimes the "soul" sounds forced to me. Breakfast In Bed hits me both ways: sometimes really sounding "out of the pocket" and other times killing me with heartbreaking emotion.

I checked through a couple of the albums that I hadn't heard before: Relish with "One of Us" is supposedly so great but I didn't enjoy it much but I bought a few tracks off her soul record How Sweet It Is (seriously...Everybody Is A Star is fantastic) and a couple off the newest record Bring It On Home


According to the Chicago Reader she has a monthly residency at City Winery which I need to look into since it seems she has Megan Reilly as a guest one night soon and I would love to see them both.

Also hoping she does this one from the new record...




oh my.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment